Ontario’s Mineral Development Strategy
Table of Contents
Ontario has renewed its Mineral Development Strategy.
Ontario’s Mineral Development Strategy (MDS) is a comprehensive 10-year plan, created with input from representatives of exploration and mining companies, prospectors, First Nation communities, Métis communities, northern communities, and environmental NGOs.
MDS starts with our ambitious vision: to become the global leader in sustainable mineral development and production. And it provides a blueprint for how we will realize that vision by building on our industry’s well-earned global reputation and significant competitive advantages.
The strategy has four key strategic priorities and ten key action items. To become the global leader we must ensure the sector is:
- Competitive and innovative by:
- attracting jobs and investment
- increasing mineral discovery rates
- improving cost-competitiveness
- fostering a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship
- Safe and environmentally responsible by:
- enhancing worker health and safety
- protecting the environment now and for future generations
- Efficiently and effectively regulated by:
- improving regulatory efficiency, predictability and transparency
- Providing growth and prosperity for future generations by:
- enhancing Aboriginal voices and meaningful participation in economic development
- establishing the necessary socio-economic conditions to advance major mining projects
- developing the workforce of tomorrow
The renewal of the strategy is a key commitment of the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario (Growth Plan). The Growth Plan provides an economic framework to build a prosperous North by creating a diversified economy, stronger communities, a healthy environment and a skilled, adaptive and innovative workforce – all in a new spirit of partnership with Aboriginal peoples.
- Ontario Mineral Development Strategy 2015 [pdf]
- Ontario Mineral Development Strategy 2015 Summary – Cree [pdf]
- Ontario Mineral Development Strategy 2015 Summary – Ojibway [pdf]
- Ontario Mineral Development Strategy 2015 Summary – Ogicree [pdf]
- Find a summary of the input received to renew the Mineral Development Strategy
- For the document in its original format please email the ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org