MAM Update - Special September 2017

Mines and Minerals Division: 

Ontario’s Spatial Data Update Completed in CLAIMaps

All nine mining divisions now contain current georeferenced data

With the addition this week of data from the Thunder Bay Division, all nine mining divisions in Ontario now feature updated information that more accurately presents the location of unpatented mining claims, leases and patents in CLAIMaps.

The updated map information represents all unpatented mining claims that have gone through the transition process across the province as well as updates to township lot and concession fabric, where applicable.

What Can I Do If My Mining Claim Is Not Located On the Ground As Shown in CLAIMaps?

The ministry has worked to present claim locations on CLAIMaps as accurately as possible.

As we continue to process new incoming data, the Provincial Recording Office (PRO) gives notice and time for a claim holder to respond to any resulting change to claim location or boundary. Where discrepancies are noted, the claim holder is encouraged to consult with the PRO as soon as possible.

Those matters will be addressed until final determination, at which point the map will be frozen and no further change to the mining claim location will be allowed.

We Are Still Accepting Your Georeferenced Data

Georeferencing mining claims has been required since November 1, 2012. As of September 1, 2017, roughly 11,500 or 36 per cent of the approximately 32,000 recorded mining claims in Ontario have been georeferenced. Another 6,200 or 20 per cent of those claims are considered georeferenced because their location is based on township survey fabric, for a total of approximately 56 per cent of the recorded claims in the province considered georeferenced.

Claim holders still have the opportunity to provide georeferencing data prior to final determination, however the work is no longer eligible for assessment credit.

For more information visit us at our Modernizing the Mining Act website or call us at 1-888-415-9845.